The hidden benefits of an employee self-service system
The ability for employees to view and edit their own data is one of the most important advancements of HR in recent years. Providing employees with remote access to view personal information held is also a best practice recommendation of the GDPR. It's obviously true that employees have a lot to gain from a self-service system, such as BrightPay Connect.
But what about HR personnel, managers and everyone else involved in the payroll and HR process? They benefit too! For administrators, it's a way of delegating the workload that would otherwise be handled solely by them. Implementing an employee self-service system is a way to re-distribute various tasks and bring them to the employee’s level.
On the surface, an employee self-service system seems designed simply to relieve a bit of pressure on your HR department. It cuts out the tedious administrative work involved in everyday tasks such as:
- Printing or emailing payslips
- Responding to payslip requests
- Responding to leave balance enquiries
- Managing annual leave requests
- Updating employee contact details
But the benefits to the business go much deeper than that. Some employee self-service systems also have the following benefits:
- Reduce errors - Entry errors and other mistakes may be avoided by allowing employees to enter their own personal information. By eliminating the need for double entry and allowing employees to evaluate their own information, the chances of inaccurate information may be greatly decreased.
- Reduce sick days - Some businesses have noticed a reduction in sick days since implementing employee self-service systems. As sick days are much more visible on screen to both employees and their managers, this likely acts as an incentive to keep sick days to a minimum.
- Cut costs - The administrative cost of processing leave or printing out payslips should not be underestimated.
- Reduce paper - The ability for employees to access payslips and other documents online can be a time and money saver. By replacing paper documents, you are also reducing your impact on the environment.
- Keep staff up-to-date - An employee self-service system can allow you to notify employees of policy changes or company-wide announcements. Employees don’t need to access their email to view changes - they can simply log in to their self-service employee app wherever they are to stay abreast of any legislative or company-wide changes that may affect them. The employer can then track which employees have viewed the notice, resource or document.
When implemented successfully, a company may see immediate increases in productivity and efficiency. Managers and HR personnel will save labour hours and frustration on a daily basis, and instead, have more time to concentrate on more important tasks.
Book a demo today to find out how BrightPay Connect can transform your business.
BrightPay Payroll Software | Thesaurus Payroll Software
Posted byRachel HynesinBrightPay ConnectEmployee Self Service